1989 -1993 Dr. Iris is Group Leader at the CEPH in Paris
- The CEPH is a Research Institute founded and lead by Nobel laureate Prof. Jean Dausset.
- Develops methods for high-throughput (HT) sequencing & data integration.
- Realizes that the links between genome & biological processes are non-linear.
- One gene = several proteins = multiple interactions = many context-dependent functions.
1993 -1996 Dr. Iris creates & leads Millennium Pharmaceuticals' (USA) HT Sequencing Unit
- He undertakes the first attempts to carry-out physiological modeling via large scale data integration.
- He invents & develops the basic tools and methods required for Integrative Biology.
- Successful completion of two models, leading to the discovery of the UCP2 and EST1 genes and their roles in obesity and hyperglycemia.
- He realizes that since published information is:
- incomplete (to an unknown extent),
- slanted (to an unknown extent),and often
- incorrect (to an unknown extent).
- Methodologies to access/generate complementary unbiased information are required
1996-2001 - Dr. Iris is co-founder and C.S.O. of ValiGen SA in Paris
- He invents, develops and patents 4 new differential gene-expression and genotyping technologies.
- He invents and develops the computerized data gathering, data mining, clustering and integration tools & technologies necessary for the industrial development of Integrative Biology / Systems Biology (European "Eureka" grant: 18.6 M Euros).
- He finalizes the Bio-Graph™ analytical platform based on the "positive selection" concept.
- He develops the Tamoxifen Resistance model with Bio-Graph™.
- He identifies the limitations of this analytical platform.
1999-2001 - Dr. Iris meets Mr. M.Gea and Dr. G.Dine
- Dr. Iris meets M.Gea and Prof. G.Dine, founding members of Centrale-Santé.
- Dr. François Iris becomes a member of Centrale-Santé's Directorate, the Healthcare & Biotech Think Tank of the Centrale's alumni's Association.
- He decides to abandon the Bio-Graph™ platform and starts working on a second Generation analytical platform (CADI™) based on the negative selection concept.
- He starts to work on the first version of the Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease model.
2002-2003 - Dr. Iris, M. Gea and Dr. Dine initiate the BMSystems project
- Conception of the first European private biotech company specialized in Predictive Integrative biology / Systems Biology.
- Paul-Henri Lampe, and Pablo Santamaria, members of Centrale-Santé Think Tank, decide to join the project.
- Development of the CADI™ analytical platform.
- Four new models completed (FGF4-driven fibroblast differentiation, hypercholesterolemia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Creutzfeldt Jakob disease) two of which are undergoing independent biological evaluation.
2004 - The company is created and starts business operations
Created in 2004, profitable since 2006, thanks to our recurrent clients, our patented collaborative discoveries already led to:
A world's first in neurodegenerative diseases (publication) with CEA: 2 awards in the US & Europe
Pherecydes-Pharma: BMSystems' spin-off, MR infections therapies, publication, world's first clinical trial with phages in Phase I/II,
Theranexus: CEA Life Sciences' spin-off exploiting CEA/BMSystems' copatent WO/2010/029131, in CNS therapies, successful Phase I, Phase II entry.